Introduction to Bybit Options Margin Systems
Bybit provides two margin modes in Options trading: regular margin and portfolio margin.
This is the default mode of Bybit options. The regular margin mode uses all of a trader’s available balance within the corresponding trading pair to prevent liquidation.
Taking BTC options as an example, when all available USDC balances in your USDC Derivatives Account are lower than the maintenance margin, the position will be liquidated.
To learn more about liquidation, please refer to Liquidation Process (Options).
Portfolio Margin (Temporarily unavailable, will be back in April 2022)
Portfolio margin aligns the margin requirements with the overall risk of the portfolio. It combines the positions of the futures and options portfolios to calculate the user margin.
Portfolio margin accounts offer the following potential benefits for traders who maintain a balanced portfolio of hedging positions:
- Lower margin requirements
- Increased leverage
To qualify for portfolio margin, your account needs to meet the following requirements:
- Maintain a minimum net equity of 10,000 USDC
- There are no positions in the USDC account
- There are no active orders and conditional orders under the USDC account
— Portfolio margin is a risk-based margin applicable to qualified accounts and requires manual activation by users.
— In the portfolio margin mode, if the net equity in your account is less than 10,000 USDC, one of the following two situations will apply:
1) There are no positions and active orders in your account, and the system will automatically switch to the regular margin mode.
2) There is a position or an active order in your account, and portfolio margin mode will be maintained.