The crypto space is growing rapidly, attracting not just enthusiasts, traders and investors, but also scammers and hackers looking to take advantage of this boom. Securing your digital assets is an important responsibility that needs to be performed immediately after obtaining your account wallet for your cryptocurrencies.
Here are some recommended safety precautions to secure your account and lessen the possibility of hacking.
- Secure your account with a strong password.
A strong password should consist of at least 8 characters (the more characters, the stronger the password) that are a combination of letters, special characters and numbers. Passwords are typically case-sensitive, so a strong password should contain letters in both uppercase and lowercase.
- Do not reveal your account details, such as your email address and other information, to anyone.
Before an asset can be withdrawn from a Bybit account, please take note that doing so requires email verification and Google Authentication (2FA). Hence, it is imperative that you also secure your registered email account.
- Always maintain a separate and strong password for your email account address that’s linked to your Bybit account. We highly recommend that the passwords for your email inbox and Bybit account are different. Follow the password recommendations in point (1) above.
- Bind your accounts with Google Authenticator (2FA) as soon as possible. The best time to bind them using Google Authenticator is immediately after your first login to your Bybit account. We also recommend you activate Google Authenticator (2FA) or its equivalent for your email address inbox account.
- Do not use Bybit on an unsecured public WiFi connection. Use a secured wireless connection, such as a tethered 4G/LTE mobile connection from your smartphone, if you need to use your PC in public to perform trading activities. You can also consider downloading our official Bybit App for trading on the go.
- Remember to log out of your account manually when you’re going to be away from your computer for an extended period of time.
- Consider adding a login password, security lock or Face ID to your smartphone/desktop/laptop computer to prevent unauthorized individuals from accessing your device and the contents within.
- Do not use the auto-fill function or save passwords on your browser.
- Anti-virus. Install a reputable anti-virus system (paid and subscribed versions are highly recommended) on your PC. Make a consistent effort to run a deep system scan for potential viruses on your PC on a regular basis.
- Don’t get phished. One common method attackers or hackers use is “spear phishing” to target individuals, who receive customized emails and/or SMS messages from a “trusted” source about plausible campaigns and promotions, with a link leading to a phony company website destination page that looks like a legitimate company domain. Their ultimate purpose is to obtain the login credentials to access and control your account wallet.
Another type of phishing attack is the use of phishing bots, whereupon a request comes from a “support” App — pretending to assist — while suggesting you fill out a support form via Google sheets in an attempt to obtain sensitive information, such as secret or recovery phrases.
Aside from email and SMS message phishing scams, you also need to carefully assess potential fraud from social media community groups or chat rooms.
Even if they look normal or legitimate, it’s important to scrutinize the source, sender and destination page by thoroughly examining the link and being vigilant on each character before proceeding to click.
- Set up an anti-phishing code. In Bybit, all emails have an anti-phishing code function that will assist you in determining an official email message from the platform.
Only seek assistance from your wallet’s customer support for your account concerns, and immediately report any suspicious activity, including but not limited to emails, SMS messages, social media groups and/or chats.
- Authenticity check. Your account and assets’ safety is always Bybit’s utmost priority. To assist you in checking the authenticity of your Bybit sources (e.g., telephone numbers, emails and URLs), you may use Bybit Authenticity Check at https://www.bybit.com/en-US/verification to verify.